It Begins with a Shoebox.
The mission of Operation Christmas Child founded by Samaritan’s Purse is to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Use an empty cardboard or plastic shoebox (average size). Decide whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Download and print the appropriate boy/girl label, which you can pick up in the atrium as well. Mark the correct age category and tape the label to the top of your box. You can wrap the box, lid separately, but wrapping is not required.
Fill the box with a variety of age-appropriate gifts (see gift suggestions below). This is a great activity to do with your child!
- Toys: Include items that children will immediately embrace such as dolls, toy cars, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise (with extra batteries), etc.
- School Supplies: pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons, markers, notebooks, paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- Non-Liquid Hygiene Items: toothbrushes, bar soap, combs, washcloths, etc.
- Accessories: t-shirts, socks, hats, sunglasses, hair clips, jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries), etc.
- A Personal Note: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. If you include your name and address, the child may be able to write back.
Bring your filled box to Springbrook during National Collection Week
Do Not Include
Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
For additional information, contact Becky Atkinson.